Sunday, May 04, 2008

Feel it in the air



The era of Black independent film, as one viewer so interestingly phrased it “Not coming from a place of hurt.”, is coming. I’m less sure how I feel about the statement than I feel about black folks doing films not scripted to the whims of Hollywood, yet not all artsy-fartsyed out. Regular readers and friends are aware of my association with the infamous “I’m through with white girls”. A more meditative, and frankly more visual compelling flick that I just came back from was Medicine for melancholy. Comparisons between the two flicks beg to be made but that’s someone else’s charge. I just want people to go out and see this study of: Blackness, Hipsters, San Francisco, color saturation, the lack of melanin, and the abundance of isolation urban life sometimes offers. The website gives the skinny of the flick, but I’ll sum it up briefly here: What happens after a one night stand between alternegroes in the city by the Bay?
And yeah, I’m sure this will be on DVD at some point. But you know what? Go out and support independent artist, especially black ones. If you went to see Iron man, which I did and loved (Stay until the end), then you ca go out and see what someone of your generation is trying to put down on celluloid. Don’t be a buster!


P.S: Good news, I'm through with White girls will have a week run at the Roxie theater in San Fran in the middle of june. Come by, meet the afrogeek, hang out with indie movie folk. It'll be cooler than a polar bear's toenails

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray! Ultimate Iron Man's Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) is part of the film!

According to Marvel's press release, The Avengers film is scheduled for a 2011. I wonder if that means that Jackson will be in the next Iron Man film, which would set up the debut of Avengers. I'm hoping that the Wasp will be Asian otherwise, the Avengers will be an all-white affair.

Marvel also announced Captain America and Thor films. I'm not sure how well Captain America will play as a World War II film. Of course, it can only be better than the last attempt at bringing Cap to the screen. (An Italian Red Skull?!) I wonder if there will be a nod to the first Captain America.

Thor could be cool. I like the hippie Thor of the Ultimates versus the stodgy Thor of Marvel Universe.

Power to the Afrogeeks!

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

black + mumblecore = bumblecore?

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home