Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Came In Third



Mr. Terrific is the worst character in an otherwise great comic series (JSA). What kind of ability is being the 3rd smartest man on Earth? Oh, I forgot. He can’t be picked up on or recorded on any type of electronic device, as well. The 3rd smartest man? That’s like coming in 3rd place. He has his little spheres that buzz around him like digital flies on cyber shit, but is DC serious? The 3rd smartest? No one remembers who won the bronze. Also, for those who read JSA, doesn’t the 3rd smartest man ask a lot of questions? Every panel dude is asking a question. Not an investigative question, but a “what the hell is going on?” query. I’m not going to even mention that my man is in 3/4 blackface. The “T” painted on his grill is not for “Terrific” but for “Turd”.

Enough of my brief ranting. Now I want to pose two questions to the community:

1). Who are the other two (white boys) who are smarter than Mr. Terrific? I’m thinking Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor, but I could be wrong.

2). Has there ever been a Black comic book character who has been done correctly? I kind of like Vixen (but she still has that whole animal/exotic vibe). I liked Storm when she had the Mohawk. Black Panther is getting better and Jon Stewart as Green Lantern is cool (sometimes), but I can’t think of anyone else I dig.

I eagerly await your answers.
--Shawn

2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I've been enjoying Hudlin's Black Panther. I've liked what they've been doing with Luke Cage in The Avengers. I feel that Captain Marvel/Photon/whatever her name is underused. Given the nature of her powers, she has the potential to be one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. I'd like to see more done with the Falcon and the character Justice from The Crew.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, I understand and sympathize with your position but for those of us who can remember a time before there were even black characters in either the DC or Marvel comics universe 3rd place in intelligence ins't quite that bad. They (whites) will always maintain the historical idea however unfounded or irrelevant that they were smarter than any other represented group.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home