Sunday, February 11, 2007

New To Afrogeeks


[The following is given to you from a new friend to AfroGeeks, Stuart McCalla. Brother is mad smart, a nice guy and will bust your ass with his martial arts skills. He's the real deal. --Shawn]

So I am looking at the movie 300 and at a visceral level it really gets me going. The whole idea of people fighting for what they believe in and it being a battle of determination is something as a Black/Indian Guy I believe in and helps me move through this world. The thoughts I have though are many when I see the previews of the movie. The most pressing thought is where are the movies that show historic and fantastical people of color being Heroic? I think a great movie would be "Quilombo". That movie needs to be remade and shown with the kind of fantastical, over the top cinematography to reach African heritage kids today). But I digress, the other thing I saw when I looked at the trailers for 300 is that man is that movie going to fuel the fanatical white racists. 300 white guys fighting off a vastly superior force of people of color. I have not seen the movie yet and my perceptions may be tinged, I will be the first to admit it. The thing I do know is that I will be one of the first people to see it.

++Stuart M

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is based off of the work of Frank Miller, so that pretty much guarantees that its going to be terrible. That said, I was mildly amused at the scene where the black guy is dropkicked into the hole in slow motion. Thank God for HBO.

Apocolypto is a snuff film. Nothing else needs to said about.

-ayo

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home